Tuesday, February 28, 2012


450 grams strong white flour
300 ml warm water
7 grams fast acting yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons runny honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
mixed seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, crushed pumpkin seeds

In a large bowl add the salt to the flour and then the yeast (put the yeast in a small well in the centre to keep it a way from the salt). Measure the warm water and then stir in the oil and honey. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour the liquid in gradually, bringing the dough together with your hands. Turn the dough on to a clean, dry and floured work surface. Start kneading the dough by stretching it away with the palm of one hand and folding it back again with the other.
Knead the dough for 10 minutes (you may need to add more flour as you go if the dough is too sticky). To knead with a mixer, slowly add the liquid to the dry ingredients with the mixer on a low speed. Knead on this slow setting for 10 minutes. This dough is stiffer than regular bread dough but will still have elasticity. Place the dough in a lightly oiled large bowl and turn to coat in the oil. Cover with cling film and put in a warm place until doubled in size. Remove the dough from the bowl, punch it down and knead briefly. Roll in to a sausage shape and divide into 7 parts. 
Roll each part into a ball. Piercing a hole in the centre with your finger, pull the dough open wide by twirling it round your index fingers. Place on the prepared baking tray and repeat with remaining dough. Cover and allow to rise for a further 10-20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
Fill a large sauce pan with warm water and bring to a simmer. Gently lift each bagel into the water to poach. Poach for about 90 seconds on each side, turning gently with a slotted spoon. Remove the bagels from the water, allowing them to drain first and place on the prepared baking trays (lightly oiled or lined with baking paper) spacing them about 3-4 cm apart. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with your choice of topping. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then turn upside down for a further 10 minutes to cook the bases. Cool on a wire rack.