Monday, November 28, 2011


400 grams strong white bread flour
150 grams softened unsalted butter
50 grams caster sugar
3 teaspoons dried yeast
2 large free range eggs
1 orange (finely grated zest)
1 lemon (finely grated zest)
100 grams sultanas
50 grams candied papaya
50 grams candied mango
50 grams dark chocolate chips
50 grams unsalted butter

Mix 125 grams of the weighed flour with the yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk the eggs to break them up, then pour them into the well. Mix the flour into the liquid to make a smooth thick batter. Sprinkle a little of the remaining weighed flour over the top of the batter to prevent a skin forming and leave in a warm place for around an hour or until the batter is very bubbly. Then add the softened butter and work it in first with a wooden spoon, then with an electric mixer until the butter is incorporated with no streaks. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead thoroughly for ten minutes, adding the rest of the flour.
Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rise at room temperature until doubled in size. After about 2 hours, uncover the dough and punch down to deflate. Cover it and let it double in size again (about 2 hours more). Meanwhile combine the sultanas with the candied fruit and chocolate chips. Stir in a teaspoon of flour to stop it clumping in the dough.
Prepare the tin by lining with parchment paper. Punch down the risen dough again and turn onto a floured surface; sprinkle the fruit and chocolate mixture on top and work into the dough gently until evenly distributed. Shape the dough into a ball and gently drop into the prepared tin. This recipe makes enough to fill a 15 cm tall cake tin or panettone mould. Cut a cross into the top and lay a sheet of clingfilm loosely over the top of the tin and leave for another hour or so until doubled in size again.
Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 200˚C. When ready to bake, melt 15 grams of the butter for finishing and brush it over the risen dough. Put a bit of butter in the centre of the cross. Bake for 10 minutes or until just starting to colour, then brush again with melted butter. Reduce the temperature to 180˚C and bake for a further 35-40 minutes, until a skewer inserted to the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place the tin on a wire rack. Allow to cool for a few minutes before teasing it out of the tin. Cool completely before slicing.